Benevilla Caregiver resources can be a lifeline to seniors who become isolated while trying to stay independent at home. Are you a lifelong couple who have had a perfect marriage and unexpectedly discover one spouse has been diagnosed with early stage dementia, Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s. Do you have a neighbor in this situation or a friend? You made a commitment to face life together no matter what but are you prepared to be a full-time caregiver?
There are resources available to help you on this journey and Benevilla has several helpful programs to address your needs. Where do you start? First, you need to start learning now how to cope with the disease.
Here’s a quick game plan to get you started:
- Research and learn about the disease. Make sure you and your spouse understand all the challenges. Considerable information is available on the internet. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Speak with your doctor about treatment options. Discuss with your spouse the pros and cons to each option.
- Create a plan. Address your financial needs, home safety and healthcare options. Focus on your estate planning and foremost your emotional requirements as a caregiver.
- Find and use local support and resources. Benevilla offers many different caregiver resources. Join one of our free caregiver support groups. Learn from others facing the same challenges. Contact a Benevilla C.A.R.E.S. Resource Specialist to learn more about these groups as well as our Life Enrichment Day Programs and Free Home Services.
- Take care of your own health. Most caregivers take on so many responsibilities they ignore their own health. The best thing to do for your loved one is stay physically and emotionally strong. Eat well. See your own doctor frequently.