Benevilla realizes our senior population is the most vulnerable right now to Coronavirus and it is increasingly important they practice self-isolation and stay at home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Because the risk of complications from COVID-19 increases with age, family members and friends are limiting their visits to older contacts. Seniors have a diminished support system and can easily find themselves trapped in social isolation. It has become increasingly difficult for them to get to doctor visits, obtain essential groceries and medicines and even retrieve their own mail. But Benevilla is here to help!
Benevilla, through their free, volunteer-driven Home Services Program, is working hard to keep seniors safe, independent, and healthy at home. We believe in practicing social distancing but not social isolation. During this pandemic, the Benevilla Home Services program continues to provide their vital support services to home-bound adults including grocery shopping assistance, assisted transportation to essential medical appointments, emergency errands, and “phone pals” wellness checks. These services are provided with the utmost in care and diligence. Guidelines followed by our amazing volunteers include:
- First and foremost, employee and volunteer drivers are monitored daily for COVID-19 conditions including but not limited to: Elevated fever (100 degrees F or higher) or newly developed respiratory illness such as cough, shortness of breath, or sore throat or close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after providing care, preparing food, using the bathroom, or touching surfaces in public places.
- Avoiding crowds
- Cleaning frequently touched surfaces in homes during visits often, including mobility and medical equipment used such as walkers, canes, and handrails.
- Properly cleaning all frequently touched surfaces on a regular basis consistent with CDC guidance on cleaning and disinfection for non-emergency transport vehicles, including the use of appropriate disinfectants. Cleaning occurs at a minimum at the beginning and end of each shift and after transporting passengers who are visibly sick.
- Mandatory usage of masks & protective wear including gloves
- Staying outside as much as possible during visits
- Making visits quick
Home Services are available short or long term to those with limited resources and options. This free program would not be possible without the help and support of our generous community volunteers and supporters such as Thunderbirds Charities. To sign up for or learn more about these free services, please call Benevilla at (623) 584-4999.
If you have a senior loved one or friend needing even more comprehensive support services in the community, in-home care, alternate respite services and more, our Benevilla C.A.R.E.S. Resource Specialists should be your first call. Simply call 623.584.4999 and we can help you find the specific service you need provided by vetted and high-quality resources in our community.